County Farm Road
Lake Street to Schick Road, DuPage County
CLIENT: DuPage County Division of TransportationDESCRIPTION:
OMEGA provided construction engineering services for the DuPage County Division of Transportation. The County Farm Road at Schick Road project was an intersection widening, resurfacing, and traffic signal modernization project.
Work on the project included:
- Adding a right turn lane from northbound County Farm Road to eastbound Schick Road
- Constructing new state-of-the-art LED traffic signals
- Bringing sidewalks and crosswalk ramps into Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance
- Placing 18,700 tons of polymerized hot-mix asphalt (HMA) Binder and Surface Course
- Bridge deck repairs including deck waterproofing and replaced sidewalks and crosswalk ramps to comply with ADA requirements.
The new surface course uses a high friction aggregate to improve traction and stopping distance. The surface course was installed using the Echelon paving method.
This method utilized two paving operations working side by side to pave two lanes simultaneously. Safety rumble strips were constructed at the centerline of County Farm Road in the S-Curves to alert drivers of lane departure to help prevent crossover collisions.
2019 American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) – Illinois section Engineering Excellence Award.